Wondering what’s so important about visiting the dentist twice a year?
Did you know that despite the fact that cavities and gum disease are two of the most common chronic oral disorders in the US, that both of these problems can be prevented with proper oral care and healthy smile practices? Here in Southbury, CT, our dentist Dr. Gary Westerman and his team emphasize the importance of preventive dental care for patients of all ages. After all, routine checkups, cleanings and proper at-home care mean fewer trips to the dentist and fewer problems over the years.
When we talk about preventive dental care this includes,
- Visiting the dentist every six months for prophylactic care and cleanings
- Brushing your teeth twice a day
- Flossing daily
- Limiting sugar, sodas and junk food
- Eating a healthy, balanced diet
- Wearing a mouthguard when playing sports
- Using an antimicrobial mouthwash to reduce plaque buildup and prevent gingivitis
Preventive care encompasses all habits and practices that prevent decay, gum disease, dental injury and other problems from befalling your smile. In fact, by visiting our Southbury, CT, family dentist just twice a year for cleanings and checkups we can often provide your smile with what it needs to prevent extensive treatments, procedures and dental work in the future. Visiting your dentist twice a year is ideal (at the very least, you should be coming in every year) as these six-month visits help to,
- Remove surface stains and help you achieve a whiter smile
- Remove plaque and tartar buildup to reduce the risk for cavities and gum disease
- Detect and treat problems early on
- Check for early warning signs of oral cancer
- Provide recommendations and tips for better brushing and flossing products and techniques to improve at-home care
- Create custom mouthguards or night guards to protect your teeth while playing sports or while sleeping (for those who also happen to grind their teeth at night)
Our Southbury, CT, dentist office is open to provide routine checkups and cleanings for our patients. We are happy to see your smiling faces in our office again for preventive care. If it’s time that your family visited the dentist call our office at (203) 264-5630 to schedule an appointment.